Students and teachers were fortunate to have had a visit from Metro News reporter Helen Pike this morning. I invited Ms. Pike to our class to discuss how she decides what articles she is going to write and how she goes about researching and writing articles. She spent time listening to some of the ideas students have for their own articles, providing feedback and advice. Students took notes during the discussion and so did I. I made a few notes on the classroom whiteboard which will play a role in the article assignment that we are now ready to embark on. Students will receive an assignment synopsis tomorrow so I encourage all families to take a look at the project. The bulk of this assignment will be completed at home, but there will be an interview component that may require some logistical support from parents.
Concepts and Terms from today's visit:
- scope creep
- fact checking
- a reporter's beat
- focus of the story
- focus statement "Who is doing what for what reason?"
- lede (how you get your reader to read on + should entice the reader into reading on)
- accuracy of quotes
- asking open-ended questions to get them talking
- can't look at other articles to write your article
- you must connect to someone else
- need to quote someone connected to the story
- verifiable facts only
- interview two people at least
- media scrum
We post regular updates of what is occurring in our class along with information regarding the upcoming events Thank you for checking back regularly.